W&H is investigating the employment effects of shipping on river Elbe as an important European waterway with connections to the German canal system and the port of Hamburg.
In a comprehensive survey, shippers, shipping companies, shipyards and service providers are asked to what extent they are utilising the Elbe as a shipping route and what employment effects arise. The study supports the holistic assessment of the river Elbe as part of the current overall Elbe concept.
Within the scope of the study the following aspects are analysed:
- Importance of waterway transports for the economy along the Elbe,
- Extent and form of the use of the waterway by shippers,
- Importance of waterway transport for the competitiveness of enterprises,
- Link between employment and waterway transport,
- Employment impacts directly related to waterway transport,
- Economic importance of passenger shipping and shipyards in the Elbe area.